Don't get sun baked this summer!
Protect yourself and your family this summer with our sun care advice!
We all need a little bit of sunshine, we can’t live without it; the sun represents holidays, rest and relaxation, it gives us energy and intensifies our good mood. Exposing your bare skin to the sun for short periods of time can actually be beneficial. This is because the sun stimulates our production of vitamin D, which is important for developing and maintaining healthy bones.
However, sunburn increases the risk of skin cancer. One way to protect your skin against sunburn is to use sun cream whenever you are outside. You can burn in the UK, even when it is cloudy, so sun cream shouldn’t be used just for holidays abroad.
When buying sun cream, the label should have:
A sun protection factor (SPF) of at least 30 to protect against UVB
At least 4-star UVA protection
Take extra care to protect babies and children from the sun as their skin is much more sensitive than adult skin. Use a sun cream with a high SPF and applied it liberally and frequently. Children aged under 6 months should be kept out of direct strong sunlight.
Our top tips:
- Apply sun cream 30 minutes before sun exposure, with an SPF of 15 or more
- Repeat sun cream application every 2 of hours
- Cover up with suitable clothing, sunglasses with UV protections and wide-brimmed hats
- Drink a lot of water - make sure you get at least 2 litres a day. Sweating, drinking alcohol and sun bathing all deplete your hydration levels making your skin appear dry and dull
- Avoid direct sun exposure between 11am and 3pm as this is when the sun is strongest. Spend some time indoors or in the shade under umbrellas or trees
- Make sure you are familiar with any moles or freckles you have and perform regular skin self-checks so you will notice any changes. If you do notice any changes ensure you get these checked by a healthcare professional
- Avoid using sun beds
- Take extra care with children
We have a range of sun cream available, our pharmacy team can help you choose the best sun cream for you and your family.
More from Rowlands Pharmacy
Find your local pharmacy
We have over 350 stores all over the UK, find your nearest one using our store finder.Find a pharmacy
Keep track and order your NHS repeat prescription through the free Hey Pharmacist app.Find out more
We offer lots of services in-pharmacy for customers.Find out more